Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blog Post 1

     Only one day after classes had ended and 23 hours after taking off from the Omaha airport I landed in Shanghai, China, prepared for a month of the biggest culture shock I had ever experienced. It wasn't my first choice for a study abroad program, but after the trip to India was canceled I figured it was my best alternative. With a population of over 1.3 billion people and an economy eventually expected to surpass that of the U.S., China is of great interest to young business students like myself. We can no longer think about business only in the context of the U.S., but must think globally about the challenges and opportunities we are faced with in order to remain competitive in today's market. (Map of China: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/cnlarge.htm)
     However, in order to be successful, we must learn about the people we are dealing with. That is why I have chosen to research the Chinese culture for the cultural reporter project.The Chinese people highly value things such as family, harmony, and saving face, in contrast to the U.S.'s more individualistic culture. The following video shows a good example of the Chinese business culture: 
 
In addition to  business culture, Chinese people also have etiquette related to meeting, gift giving, and dining that  may be different from in the U.S. For example, when giving gifts, you always present them with two hands, never open them in front of the person who gave them to you, and the person may refuse your gift three times before they accept it (China-Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette). 
     In order to become a more well-rounded business student, I know that I have a lot to learn about the Chinese culture. Not only do I need to learn about the culture of the Chinese people now, but I also need to learn about their history to understand their fundamentals for their beliefs. I will also throughout this project study the cultural practices of verbal and nonverbal communication, in order to become a more effective communicator with people in the Chinese culture. Online videos, websites, personal experiences, and interviews, will all help me to accomplish my goal.

China. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/cnlarge.htm  

China- Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette. (n.d.). Retrieved from 
http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/china-country-profile.html 

Doing Business in China [Motion picture]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/ 
watch?v=loL97DgsvdE 

4 comments:

  1. Great blog! I love that you are blending your personal experience with a focus on business communication. I think you will produce some very interesting results and I look forward to reading more.

    Some minor APA edits:
    See Purdue OWl for formatting samples - it's a great resource
    In text:
    (Worldatlas.com, n.d.).
    Instead of: (Map of China: http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/cnlarge.htm)


    worldatlas.com (n.d.) China. Retrieved on month day, year from http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/asia/cnlarge.htm

    kwintessentia. (n.d.). China: Language, culture, customs and etiquette. Retrieved on month day, year from
    http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/china-country-profile.html

    Doing Business in China [Motion picture]. (n.d.). Retrieved on Month day, year from http://www.youtube.com/
    watch?v=loL97DgsvdE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first couple of sentences were really captivating! I think it is beneficial that you have some personal experiences you can add to your blog. You mentioned that you will use interviews to gather information. I would recommend adding who you will interview. Did you meet people while in China who would be willing to interview?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha,
    Your blog is really well written. I think that it is really going to benefit you since you have traveled to China and seem to know a lot of information about the culture already. Also I think it is good that you are connecting yourself to the Chinese culture using the business industry since that is your major. I like that you included the video also. The only thing you may want to add is who from the Chinese culture you plan to interview. Is this going to be a friend you made in China, a student at UNL from China, or who will this be? Like I said great job so far. Good Luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both Rachel and Kelsey! Very captivating start and I bet it was a huge culture shock. I can't imagine being in a situation like that. Props to you for going out of your element and studying abroad in such a populous country! I hope your next two blogs are as interesting as this. I'm sorry I didn't respond in a more timely manner on this!

    ReplyDelete